Feeling the urge to lose your locks this year? Before making the big cut, consider donating your hair. There are various organizations that accept all types of hair, from colored to curly to virgin. We here at Twig have been doing a fair share of donation cuts in the last year and are more than happy to help you find an organization that meets your hair needs. Here is our latest do-gooder, Emily Yun along with some requirements and benefits of a few choice companies. Feel free to call Twig for any other questions you may have about the donation process, 760.431.8989.
Wigs for kids
Benefits: Children who have lost hair as a result of chemotherapy, radiation treatments, alopecia, burns, or other medical circumstances
- Hair must be clean and dry.
- Hair that has been cut and saved is suitable for donations.
- Minimum length of hair donation is 12+ inches. (Pull curly hair straight to measure.)
- Gray hair is acceptable, but hair that has been chemically processed - permed, colored or highlighted - is not
Pantene Beautiful Lengths
Benefits: Women who have lost their hair due to cancer treatment
- Minimum of 8 inches long
- Wavy/curly hair texture is fine-you may straighten hair to measure
- Hair should be freshly washed and completely dry, without any styling products
- Hair may be colored with vegetable dyes, rinses and semi-permanent dyes. It cannot be bleached, permanently colored or chemically treated
- Hair may not be more than 5 percent gray
Locks of Love
Benefits: Financially disadvantaged children 18 and younger with medical hair loss
- Hair must be at least 10 inches (preferably 12") in length
- Hair must be free of bleach. Colored hair and permed is acceptable.
- Hair must be clean and dry
- Hair cut years ago is usable if it has been stored in a ponytail or braid.
- Hair that has been bleached (usually this refers to highlighted hair) is not usable. If unsure, ask your stylist.
- Cannot accept dreadlocks. Also cannot accept wigs, falls, hair extensions or synthetic hair.
- Layered hair is acceptable if the longest layer is 10 inches.
- Layered hair may be divided into multiple ponytails.
- Curly hair may be pulled straight to measure the minimum 10 inches.